Kombucha on cans
There is a holy grail drink out there, and not everyone knows it or has even heard of the existence at all.
Let’s talk about Kombucha!
My “holy grail drink” label is more on the joking side, but kombucha is certainly an eye opener to many people.
- Great alternative to high sugar content soft drinks
- It comes with health benefits
- More and more kombucha on the shelf, it’s becoming better available
- A real tasteful alternative for those who skip alcohol or try to minimalize their intake
So, let’s dive a bit deeper into Kombucha.
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a fermented beverage made from tea, sugar, and a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY). Many people enjoy drinking Kombucha for various reasons, but it’s important to note that its potential benefits and taste can vary based on personal preferences and the specific brand or even homemade recipe.
Here are some potential reasons why people choose to drink Kombucha
- Probiotic content: Kombucha is rich in probiotics, which are beneficial microorganisms that can support a healthy gut microbiome. These probiotics may help with digestion and overall gut health.
- Antioxidants: Kombucha contains antioxidants, such as polyphenols, that can help protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
- Low sugar options: Many commercial Kombucha brands offer low-sugar or sugar-free varieties, which can be a healthier alternative to sugary beverages we all know or drink.
- Unique flavors: Kombucha comes in a wide variety of flavors, as it can be flavored with fruit, herbs, and spices. This makes it an appealing option for those looking for a refreshing and unique beverage.
- Potential health benefits: Some people claim that Kombucha has helped with various health issues, including increased energy, improved digestion, and better immune function. However, scientific research on these potential benefits is ongoing, and individual experiences can vary.
Cans, cans, cans
At Mainland Canning we have seen an increased amount of Kombucha Brewers moving to can as their main packaging format.
So, our customers are considering a couple things before moving their Kombucha into cans
Drinking Kombucha from a can offers several advantages compared to other packaging options, such as glass bottles or plastic containers. Here are some reasons why you might choose Kombucha in a can:
- Portability: Canned Kombucha is easy to carry and transport. It’s lightweight and durable, making it suitable for on-the-go consumption. You can take it with you to work, the gym, or outdoor activities.
- Sustainability: Aluminum cans are recyclable and have a lower environmental impact compared to some other packaging materials. They can be recycled and repurposed more efficiently, reducing waste and environmental harm.
- Protection from light: Light exposure can degrade the quality and taste of Kombucha over time. Canned Kombucha provides better protection against light, preserving the product’s flavor and quality.
- Airtight seal: Cans provide an airtight seal, which helps maintain the carbonation and freshness of the Kombucha for a longer period.
- Reduced risk of glass breakage: Unlike glass bottles, cans don’t break if dropped, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries.
Ultimately, the choice between Kombucha in a can, glass bottle, or other packaging depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you value portability, sustainability, and convenience, canned Kombucha can be a good option.
The Kombucha future
The future of Kombucha drinks is likely to involve several trends and developments as the market continues to evolve. Here are some potential aspects of what the future for Kombucha drinks may look like:
- **Increased Popularity**: Kombucha’s popularity is likely to continue to grow as more consumers seek healthier and probiotic-rich beverage options. It may become a mainstream choice for those looking to reduce their consumption of sugary soft drinks.
- **Flavor Innovation**: Kombucha brands will likely continue to innovate with new and creative flavor combinations to appeal to a wider range of taste preferences. You can expect to see a broader variety of flavors and ingredients.
- **Functional Kombucha**: There may be a focus on functional Kombucha, with brands incorporating additional health-boosting ingredients like adaptogens, herbs, and superfoods to target specific health benefits.
- **Low Sugar and No Sugar Options**: With increasing consumer awareness of sugar’s health impacts, Kombucha brands will likely offer more low sugar and no sugar options to cater to different dietary preferences and requirements.
- **Convenience and Packaging**: Kombucha in convenient packaging, like cans and smaller single-serving bottles, may continue to gain popularity. Packaging innovations may also include environmentally friendly options.
- **Global Expansion**: Kombucha is likely to continue its global expansion as more people around the world discover and embrace this fermented beverage. Local and regional variations may emerge.
- **Regulatory Challenges**: As Kombucha’s popularity grows, regulatory agencies may continue to refine their guidelines for its production and labeling, which could impact how it’s marketed and sold.
- **Health Research**: Ongoing research into the health benefits of Kombucha may lead to more concrete evidence of its positive effects, further solidifying its status as a health-conscious beverage.
- **Market Consolidation**: As the market matures, larger beverage companies may acquire or invest in smaller Kombucha brands, potentially leading to market consolidation.
- **Homebrewing and DIY**: Homebrewing Kombucha is likely to remain a popular trend for those who enjoy making their own fermented beverages. As more people experiment with homebrewing, they may create new flavors and variations.
Overall, the future for Kombucha drinks appears to be one of continued growth, diversification, and innovation as it meets the demands of health-conscious consumers looking for flavorful, low-sugar, and probiotic-rich beverage options. However, the specific developments will depend on consumer preferences, market dynamics, and regulatory changes as the industry evolves.
At Mainland Canning we are big Kombucha fans, from delicious ginger to hop or red fruit taste, we love it.
Our Kombucha customer base is growing year on year and this means more Kombucha cans are hitting the market. Get in touch with us if you want to hear what we can do to help your Kombucha brand grow.